Oliver W. Winch Middle School
The middle-level years emphasize continuous physical, social, and educational transition for students. Our middle school specializes in a collaborative, team-teaching approach that is conscientious and
compassionate toward meeting the needs of individual students as they transition from child to teen and from elementary learning to the rigors of high school.
• Recognized by New York as a high-performing middle school, serving as a model of work and leadership for middle schools across the state.
• Named as one of ten select middle schools by the state as an Essential Elements School-to Watch and redesignated as such in 2009.
• Comprehensive, purposeful, relevant and standards-based programs focused on motivating learners.
• Networks of academic and personal support geared to preadolescents to help them learn, adapt, and achieve.
• Media center, computer lab, Smartboards, and mobile computer lab of Macintosh Macbook and Ipad.
• Enrichment classes, after-school programs, academic intervention and extensive support services.
• Transition programs, created with the elementary and the high schools, to ease the adjustment from fifth to sixth grade and again from eighth grade to ninth grade. Programs include orientations, building tours, guidance and teacher visits, small core student groups and teacher development.
• Anti-bullying program that includes an avenue for anonymous peer reporting.
• An active Home School Association that hosts numerous activities and fund raisers to supplement district resources.